- Stop using paper towel: use reusable cloths to deal with spills, cat barf, etc.
Use up my disposable antibacterial wipes & don't buy any more! Stop using disposable duster & sweeper cloths. Get a clothesline in the back yard & drying rack for the house so I can stop drying virtually all my clothes in the dryer. Install CFLs & LED lighting in all fixtures in the house as the incandescents& halogens burn out. (We've only got the halogen fixtures left--everything else is CFL)
- Stop drafts in the house with weatherstripping & sealing up holes in the siding before winter.
Get more sweaters & woolly slippers & keep the heat down during the winter. Replace the crap single-pane windows downstairs with energy efficient ones.
- Look into adding insulation to the external walls upstairs.
- Get my plastic bag usage down to zero. (We almost never get them when shopping & recycle them with SPUD, however, we've started using ziplocs again...)
Eat less meat& choose organic/free range when I eat it.
- Grow more food. (We've got compost & are ordering delivery of a couple of yards of soil to build a raised bed the whole length of the back yard)
- Make more of our own beer & wine.
Sell the car & go back to using Cooperative Auto Network vehicles exclusively.
- Try to buy local more often.
- Buy products with less packaging.
- Try to buy clothing made with greener fabrics.
Start carrying a good travel mug so I can stop using disposable cups when I buy hot drinks out. Bring my lunch to work at least four times a week to avoid the packaging that eating out always entails.
- Cut my shower time down to 5 minutes a day. (Kinda gave upon this one because my shower time is my break time away from the sprog. I feel like I need 15 minutes)
Wednesday, April 13, 2011
Progress on the list...
Here's how we're doing two years after the last update: (the yellow ones are things done since the last time)